Before you get too excited or think oh no not for me, let me just tell you, the coffee is not there so that you can taste it, it is there to bring out a rich deep flavour of the chocolate, hence why it is mocking you…
you dive in hoping to sneak a hint of coffee, but you are left searching and longing for it to show it self. (Evil, maybe- but its still worth the exploration).
2½ cups self raising flour
¼ tspn baking soda
250grm Chocolate 60 %
½ cup sugar
500 grms dark brown sugar (Muscovado)
1 ½ tspn vanilla
1 cup coffee freshly brewed and filtered
¾ cup hot water
1 cup mayo
- In a high sided bowl break up the chocolate into small pieces and add in the boiling hot water along with hot filtered coffee.
- carefully stir till all the chocolate is melted
- add both the sugars into the hot mix and stir until sugar is also melted
- In a separate large high sided bowl measure out the flour and baking soda, sifted, (or (when I am in a hurry, or feeling lazy), I use a whisk and give a quick whisk of the dry flour in the mixing bowl, this breaks up any lumps).
- Carefully pour in the hot chocolate mixture into the flour bowl whisking slowly as you pour in.
- mix well
- in a separate small clear glass bowl crack in the eggs and remove any shells that may have slipped in.
- next add the mayo, and eggs to the cake mix and mix well
- Pour the cake mix into two medium sized cake tins (pre-greased/lined)
- bake at 180 degrees Celsius, gas mark 4 (reduce temperature for fan assisted ovens) for about 40-50 minutes or until cooked. To check insert a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out clean it is ready.
Best served warm! Or you can leave to cool on a cooling rack and then place in an air tight container. It can be layered and decorated for parties.
Left over cake (should such a thing ever occur!! or if you want to hide it away for indulging in in secret later!) always stored in an air tight container or wrapped in cling to stop it from drying out.
Keeps for few days out at room temp or for two week in the fridge, unless you invite me over then tis not a crumb in sight.. no not really a cake monster, but I’m sure I could pose as one!
me-the children's chef
My recipes are not about the show stopper artworks...for me its all about satisfied tums and satisfied mums!
Here you will find:
RECIPES THAT I HAVE DEVELOPED
OTHER BLOG SPACES: